News
If you have any news that you would like putting on our website, don't hesitate to contact the Church Office
Stacks Image p21_n56
Contact

History of Church Road Methodist Church

Stacks Image 5
The story of Methodism in St Anne's is as old as the town itself.

The first Nonconformist services were held in a small wooden bungalow, erected in 1875, which was the town's first rated house. As numbers grew the little band of worshippers left the cottage for rooms above stables in Back St. Anne's Road West, where Wesleyan Methodists, Baptists and Congregationalists continued to meet until the Wesleyans opened a new chapel on Clifton Drive.





Stacks Image 8
On Church Road a small group of Wesleyans met for occasional services at the home of James Jackson and in 1881 they took a room over a bake house, offChurch Road, for worship and a Sunday School. Their Society grew and in 1887 they opened a mission in rooms abandoned by the United Free Methodists some time earlier. Services were so well-attended that in 1888 the erection of a new Mission Hall was proposed. Obtaining the consent of the Circuit meeting in March, work began in July and on 3rd October the new Mission Room was opened.

The Society flourished and again it outgrew its home. In 1904 work began on a new church building which would accommodate 750 worshippers and thisopened on 8th June 1905. The old Mission, which had accommodated 200 worshippers, was utilised as the Sunday School. Today it is the restaurantand kitchen
Stacks Image 16
The choir was placed in front of the organ and there was a rostrum for the preacher in front of the choir. In 1925 the Ladies of the Church raised the funds to build an additional room. Now known as the Parlour, for many years it was known as the Ladies' Parlour.In 1955 the most ambitious project since the building of the church commenced and on 29th June 1957 the new Sunday School extension, comprising Hall and stage and two large classrooms, was opened. In 1970, the then Minister, Revd J.R. Lakin Smith, had, in his words, "a vision of what this Church could be, and do, in this town" and on 20th January 1975, as a result of hard work, generous grant aid and sacrificial giving, the Day Care Unit of the new Church Road Centre welcomed its first clients.
Stacks Image 19

Following further fund-raising, alterations to the Church were made and on 19th May 1979 the modernised and refurbished Church building was re-dedicated. In 2013 the Church was once again refurbished. The pews were removed and a flexible space for worship and activities created. At the close of 2013 the Day Care Unit left the Centre and in2014 the Centre became host to the Fylde Foodbank.